Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Beginning

So... it's time to begin training for my first marathon. I've been running since I was 10 years old, but I've never gone for the "big" race. I was mostly a sprinter and hurdler in high school, but I've steadily been going further out of my comfort zone and into the "unknown".

I've been plagued by injuries for most of my running career and I'm hoping that if I can take it slow with regards to building up distance, I might be able to remain injury free. Here's hoping!

To date, the furthest I have ever run at one time is 13.1 miles, and I've only done that once.

I've set my sights on what I hear is the best "1st" marathon: the Marine Corps Marathon. This year marks the 35th anniversary and I can't think of something better to run for than our Marines. My father was a Marine for 10 years, so this is kind of for him also. Even if he doesn't know it.

So here I go. Venturing out into my personal unknown, with the hopes that in less than 4 months, I'll be able to conquer that elusive 26.2 mile monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment